Struggle with terrorism according to Mr. Luzhkov and others

Part one

Material for the press conference at the House of Journalists 17.09.99.

The war is going on in Russia already for several years. Tragic events happen in Moscow, Volgodonsk, adding to dozens of thousands of perished in Chechenia and Dagestan, hundreds of new, equally innocent victims. We are going to bed with a feeling of fear for our children.  We are expecting active actions from our authorities and law enforcement bodies, we demand protection.

What is the response of Moscow authorities to the actions of terrorists?

From September 13, dozens of those who suffered from the struggle with terrorism according to Moscow style are coming, calling, pleading for help from our organization. Under our constant wardship are forced migrants. We know Baku residents from 1990, Sukhumi residents - from 1992, Grozny residents - from 1995. They  fell under suspicion because of the lack of a residence permit - registration at the place of residence in Moscow. The registration in which they were illegally refused during these years.

Based on some unpublished document, the militia authorities are conducting re - registration of those who has a temporary residence permit - registration at the place of residence.  Upon their own discretion the registration can be cancelled, considering that someone “has no grounds for staying in Moscow”, or after finding out that a person is staying not at the place of his registration. The prolonging of registration is refused to those whose registration has expired. Naturally, the main principle of checking is an ethnical one.

The militia men are referring to the order of the Mayor which was allegedly adopted by him on September 13 of this year. Its text is not known to us, because in response to the request of the State Duma deputy V.V. Igrunov the city hall refused to send us this document by fax. Is this text available at the militia stations or, as it happened in 1993 with the Resolution N 906, the executives were only generally informed about it, - the answer to this question is also unknown.

However as we were told in one of the militia stations the instruction is: not to register persons of not “proper” nationality, to get them out of Moscow, to free flats.

Here are only three examples of militia’s active actions.

1. In the boarding house of Metrostroy in Sholokhova Street, 2, already for many years have been residing refugees from Baku, having the status and registration. Two days ago the employees of the criminal investigation department cancelled their registration certificates.

2. Malika Ahmedovna Takaeva, former employee of the Ministry of Finances in Chechenia, has been living in Moscow since 1995. She was a volunteer at our organization, and had been working at the Fund of obligatory medical insurance in Moscow already for two years. Malika with her sister and brother has just returned form Nalchik, where their father suddenly died. Her registration at the address Kirovogradskay Street 32-1, flat 137, had expired and she did not have time to prolong it. On September 11 the employees of the Department of Interior “Chertanovo - Central”, detained all three of them paid a fine, and on September 13.  Their place of location after the detainment is not known. Malika’s colleagues tried to find out about her, we also tried to do it. But the militia does not give valid information, sending from one department to another. It was possible to find out that the Takaevs were tried at Chertanovsky court (judge - Kolotova). But for what they were tried and where their are kept remains a mystery.

3. A mother of ten children, Perdos Bokova, came to Moscow from Ingushetia, in order to put into  hospital N 18 for children her child, having infantile cerebral paralysis. The father of her children, Salekh Bokov, permanently residing in Moscow in a one room flat (Kluchevaya street 4-1, flat 51)with his second wife, placed Perdos into his friend’s  flat. He was supposed to look for the children while the mother and ill child would be staying in a hospital. On September 15 Bokovs were to be placed in the hospital. However in the morning of this day vigilant employees of the “Lubertsy - 2” Department of Interior came to their flat, fined them and took the passports, asking to leave the flat immediately. For two days the members of our organization were trying to persuade the Department of Interior “Lubertsy - 2” to give back the passports and to give the woman a possibility to use the order to the Moscow hospital to which she placed so many hopes.  We called to the one on duty at the Moscow area, who was unusually courteous, agreed that taking passports was illegal and that it was horrible to interfere with the treatment of the child. The one on duty called to the Department of Interior “Lubertsy - 2”, where it was promised to give back the passports. Salekh went for them, but he was refused. The head of the Department of Interior Vladimir Borisovich Panin demanded that the flat had to be freed immediately. “I am the law today” he said. It looks that he is right. By the night of September 15 Salekh took the family to different acquaintances. Deputy of the State Duma Vyacheslav Igrunov called by direct phone to the Ministry of Interior, where he was also promised that the passports would be given back. However on September 16, Bokovs again went to pick them up, and again in vain.

There are many histories of this type. Not only the employees of our organization and deputies spend a lot of time on them, but also the militia employees. If it is correct that, as the news informed on the 16th in the evening that in Moscow already revealed are 20 000 persons not having a registration, then it is possible to imagine that militia has no force and time to catch criminals. And how many efforts and resources will be necessary to spend to place theses people somewhere! Not to bring them to a dump as it happened with cripples in August.

Refugees from Baku have nowhere to go. Chechenians who worked for Russia during Zavgaev’s time also cannot come back home.

But it is probably not important for Moscow authorities. Why look for bandits if 20 thousand brunets were already caught and still more can be caught. “Only say a word, Yuri Michailovich. We shall provide a terror in Moscow”, - promised the authorities from the Chief Department of Interior after explosion on July 12, 1996. Now this terror - terror against all persons from the Caucasus and Caucasian region has started in Moscow.

Luzhkov’s  “special regime”- is a mass violation of rights of citizens and of the Russian legislation, this is a state of emergency in its worst case - introduced in the order of appearance, not limited by any legal frameworks and directed against one group of population. Its only result is: rousing hatred between nations, and the growth of criminalization of militia, which already reached a threatening level.

A doubtful purpose - to respond by terror to terror - is not achieved. The unheard of situation in militia  does not counteract to the criminal situation, it merges with it. It is impossible to find criminals in the situation of general fuss and panic, and to protect Muscovites from them.

Part two

Amendment and continuation of information in the order of receipt by “Civic Assistance”


1a..On September 18-20  the Passport department of Police station No. 183 re- registered refugees after their insistent actions.

2a.. In the morning of September 18, the Takaevs, after several days of interrogation, were released from Petrovka, 38. They were given certificates that they were under arrest at the Temporary Detainment Isolator under the Ministry of Interior of the city of Moscow for five days in accordance with article 158 of the Code of Administrative violations (“minor hooliganism”). However they were sitting with criminals and they were interrogated with a big moral pressing; they were threatened to be placed into a basement, were accused in crimes (exporting false dollars; issuing policies to guerrillas; sisters will be exterminated; give connections, etc.). The interrogators, except one, did not introduce themselves.
When they came back they found out that the flat was sealed. The precinct militia inspector with other employees appeared who demanded that the flat had to be immediately freed. Two days were given for gathering but in an hour a militia employee appeared again. He called to the precinct militia inspector and for a long time spoke about not only evacuating but also extermination of all Chehenians.
On September 19 the Takaevs went from Moscow to Nalchik, not being sure that they would be accepted at the boarding house where their mother lived.

3.a. Passports were returned to Bokovs only in the second half of the day on September, 18, after direct participation of one of the generals of the Ministry of Interior (upon request of the deputy Igrunov), and they could take an ill girl to a consultation to the 18th hospital.

4. The mother of four children Zaynap Sadulaeva lives in Moscow for more than two years: her 11 year old sun Umar has a critical oncologic decease (Uing’s sarcoma of the right antebrachium), he had three operations at the Oncologic centre at Kashirskoye shosse, a courses of chemotherapy and was under a constant supervision of Moscow doctors. Zaynap is registered in Moscow for a year, but lives not in a cramped flat of her relatives where she is registered, but in an empty flat of her girl friend. On September 13, a precinct militiaman from 138th Station Kozhkov came to Sadulaevs home, took a passport from Zaynap and a registration certificate and demanded that she should immediately leave the flat occupied by her, threatening with forced expulsion with a help of OMON. After a telephone call of the employee of the “Civic Assistance” Committee the passport was returned to Zaynap, but Kozhkov turned the registration certificate into pieces, the precinct militia man, at Zaynap’s eyes. He rudely offended her and even raised his arm against her. The head of the militia station, to whom Z. Sadulaeva applied with a complain against the precinct militia man, only repeated his threats about force expulsion. Now Zaynap is living in fear, is afraid to go out into the street and shivers at each knock at the door.

5. On August 18 the employee of the “Civic Assistance” Committee Loudmila Gendel went to the “Dorogomilovo” militia department in order to re- register forced migrants from Grozny who were living at her place. About 30  persons were standing near militia building trying to get into the department. A guardsman with a sub-machine gun who explained to all willing to re-register that they would not be able to receive everybody at the passport desk blocked them. In answer to the question what should be done - according to the order of Mayor it should be done before September, 21 - the guardsman was answering that it was none of his business.
She managed to re-register “her” migrants, who were staying in the queue from 10 in the morning, and were inside only because the one on duty let them in not in the order of the queue out of pity to cold and hungry children, rather quickly. But when the lady in the passport desk saw the seal of Grozny in the passport, she cried; “Out of Chechenia” and ran away with the documents to the boss. The frightened and tired woman, mother of two children cried in despair to he “I am not a Chechenian, I am Russian!”. When they were leaving the department about 16 o’clock, the crowd had considerably grown. They were called not in order, but according to nationality - only Russians. The one on duty said that there was a telephonogramme from the head of the Chief Department of Interior of Moscow Mr. Kulikov : “Not to register residents of the Caucasus and not to re-register them”.
The head of the passport desk “Dorogomilovo” Kalinin confirmed the receipt of the telephonogramme with the order “not to register inhabitants of the Caucasus, but refused to tell who signed this order.
The same information is confirmed by calling other territorial departments of interior.

On September, 20, the City hall sent to us the Order of the Mayor of 13.09.99, No. 1007 - PM, “On paramount measures for the securing of order in registration of citizens, temporarily residing in Moscow”. In spite of this order being illegal, it does not include even one hundredth of measures taking  place  in practice.

6. From September 1998 Besiev Suleiman Khasmagametovich, born in 1975, was transferred from the Oil Institute of the city of Grozny to Moscow, to the day department of the Institute of Oil and Gas named after Gubkin. In 1998/99 he lived at his acquaintances, and from September 1999 received a place at the boarding house. According to the information of his mother, Medny Israilova, of September 20, 1999, militia station N 270 of “Konkovo” department of interior does not register Suleiman at his location giving no explanations.

7. Votsaeva Bela Kaspievna, after the graduation from the institute remained in Moscow, has three sons, 8, 6, and 2 years old. The family is registered at Bela’s friend at the address: 3rd Vladimirskay, 9/2, flat 46. She lives at a different place where she is refused to be registered, referring to the fact that nobody is registered at the flat permanently. She could not pass a re-registration before September 22, 1999, as she does not live at the address of registrations. The precinctinspector of  militia  demands  that she should leave Moscow.

8. The Muscovite, Ph.D. in philosophical sciences Eshet Musaeva informed the “Civic Assistance” Committee about 6 cases of dropping off drugs to Chechenians during re - registration at militia station, known to her. In the first place it is done to the inhabitants of Vvedenskiy region of Republic of Chechenia, where Shamil Basaev comes from, and in relations with whom they are demanded to recognize. The circumstances of the case are being verified, In some cases relatives are refusing from the assistance of human rights advocates, preferring other ways of communication with law enforcement bodies.


9. Gatiev Aslan Il’asovich came from Khasav’urt ten years ago to Moscow, where he finishes the State University of Nature Use Organization. His training at the day department was interrupted for two years of military service and one year of academic leave. Until the last year Aslan lived at the boarding house. At the last year of training he transferred to the correspondence training department, found work and had a registration at the place of his bride Nailya Ruslanovna Pipia at the address: Tashkentsky pereoulok 39, flat 19.
He went for re-registration together with her on September 17. His turn in the queue came only on Sunday, September 19. Opening his passport the precinct officer told that dactyloscopy should be made for Chechenians and took him to police station N 44. There were no place for his bride in the car. He did not return from the Police Station. Employees of the militia refused to give any information to Aslan’s  bride and she called his relative Adam Khazrievich Gatiev from Murmansk.
In the second half of September 20, Adam and Nailya managed to organize a visit to Aslan by the lawyer Alexander Alexandrovich Evstafiev, who was told that Aslan is condemned in keeping drugs : 0.03 grams of heroin were found in his pocket. Nailya Pipia is absolutely sure that no drugs or their remains were in Aslan’s pocket before he sat in militia’s car.

On September 20 all news programmes informed that the Moscow City hall took a decision on turning out the persons who did not pass the registration during the last three days. The same programmes informed about the briefing at the Ministry of Interior where the deputy head of the Passport and Visa department of the Ministry of Interior V.Ya. Krivtsov called not only the practice of re-registration, but the Order N 1007 itself as contradicting to the RF Law “On the Right of citizens for the freedom of movement”. Those who suffered from it were recommended to apply to court. Nothing was told about any measures of the Ministry of Interior authorities in respect of violations of the law by the Chief Department of Interior, which is subordinated to it.

All attempts to find a new order of the Mayor of Moscow on the order of turning out citizens from the capital were not a success.

10. One  person, who is worth trusting as an informer, arrived to Moscow in the morning on September 21. In the afternoon at the metro station he was stopped by two sub-machine gunners and ask to hand in the documents. Making sure that he is a Chechenian they tore up his air ticket and ordered to hand  up weapons, explosives and drugs or to pay the money. Protests were not a success and that  person had to cope with it and pay for the possibility to move on. After receiving money the militia employees felt trust to that  person (an intelligent and winning favour person) and told him that they have an order to arrest all Chechenians irrespective of the registration. Besides, according to their information camps for detained Chechenians, who are planned to exchange for detained Russians,  are being prepared near Moscow.


11. On September 13, about 15.00 o’clock five persons in civil cloths took the certificate of a refugee from a refugee from Baku Arthur Mikhailovich Mirzoyan at the entrance to the third block of hotel “Ostankinskaya”. The Certificate was taken under pretext of checking documents. The checking persons called themselves the militia employees. One of them said: “You have to go to Rustaveli 8a and tell frankly where your heroin is”. The mother of Arthur Tatiana Novoruzova came to Rustaveli street 8a, where the Department of Interior of the North East Administrative district is located in stead of her son. However she did not manage to return the certificate as the head of the Department of Interior did not know who of the employees was on duty at the hotel “Ostankinskaya” where Arthur’s family lived from 1990.

12. Dzortova Lubov Munatovna received the status of forced migrant in Nazran. She has been living in Moscow from November 1996 as her daughter is studying at the Juridical Academy. Address of residence: Angarskaya street, house 49, block 1, flat 15. On September 16 she applied with all necessary documents to the militia station N 13 for registration at the place of residence.The head of the passport department refused to conduct a registration and  said that they were not registering Chechenians.

13. Khautieva Rayiskhan Ruslanovna, born in 1968, came from Grozny in June 1999 in order to pass 2 exams for the first year of training at the University of Organization of Land exploitation. She has nowhere to live in Grozny, as her flat at the address: guerrillas occupy Kievskaya street house 39, flat 10. She stayed at the communal flat at the address: Zatsepa street, house 33, flat 3. Residing in this flat were Osmaev Zelimkhan Usmanovich from Grozny with two nephews Osmaev Bibulat Suleimanovich , born in 1984, and Bersanov Akh’yad Almanovich, 1984, who came to Moscow in hope of getting a full secondary education, which is impossible in Grozny, destroyed by war.
After receiving a written permission of all residing in this flat, R.R. Khautieva made a registration at the place of residence but only for 45 days, as the head of the passport desk of the 1st department of militia explained to the girl that there is no registration for 6 months in Moscow. On August 19 the period of registration expired. The owners of the flat were on vacation at this time.
On September 15 at 21 o’clock about 8-10 persons of militia men in civil cloths entered the flat, said that they were from Petrovka, commanded “Hands Up! Documents, Passports”. They torn up Khautieva’s  agreement on hire and lease, torn the personal case from school and the birth certificate   of Bibulat Osmaev, made a search in all of the flat (they did not show sanctions for the search). They demanded to hand in documents for the technique that was in the flat and said that they would take it if there were no documents, and then had mercy and ordered to put down a note that it would not be taken anywhere. All these actions were accompanied by permanent threats and offences. They told that Luzhkov gave all rights to them and ordered Moscow militia to free Moscow from residents of other cities in a 24 hour period. Before leaving Khatueva they demanded to write that she had no claims against militia men. After  the departure of the guards of order from the flat 4 bottles of Armenian cognac disappeared.
On September 16 at 5 o’clock in the morning the head and the deputy head of the department of militia N 1 came to the flat with  four more militia men with sub machine guns, took the passport of Khautieva for an alleged voluntary occupation of residential area that did not belong to her. They ordered to Khautieva to go to other place and to come to the department of militia the next day as they were submitting the case to court. On the same day at 11 o’clock in the morning she came to the department of militia. She was kept at the department for the whole day and told that there was no car to take her to the court for case hearing. Passport was not returned to her.
On September 17 at 10 o’clock in the morning when R.R. Khautieva again came to the department, she was taken to the building of court in Novokuznetskaya street in a usual car. The judge told that such cases were considered not by court but by an administrative commission. They came to the department of militia, the deputy chief told that she should stay at home and wait for a precinct militia inspector, who had to bring the passport. Nobody came until Monday. On September 22 Khatueva herself went to the deputy chief of the department who brought her passport out of his study and told that the registration is suspended and advised to go somewhere else, as she would not be able to get the registration at that place.

14. Zalimkhan Abdul-Vabovich Temirsultanov, born in 1982, lives in Moscow with parents from 1995. All members of the family have a status of forced migrants and registration at the address: Zadonsky proyezd 16, flat 65. The mother of Zalimkhan, Tamara Temirsultanova, works as an administrator at the University boarding house.
On September 18, 1999, Zelimkhan was driving in a car to his mother’s work, there were food products in the car. At 16  in Lebedeva street he was stopped by the Sate Automobile Inspection, his driving license was taken from him and he was taken to the militia department of the  Moscow State University. There Zelimkhan was placed into a separate room, his certificate on registration was torn to pieces and they started to humiliate and beat him. He was made to take  potatoes out of  the pack and then to gather them again. He was threatened to  dirty his hands with hexogen, to spit his kidney with an awl. They asked a lot of questions, but, not waiting for an answer, bit him on the head and breast.
Zelimkhan’s sisters, worried by his long absence, started to call to militia departments. In the department of Interior of the Moscow State University they were told that Zelimkhan was detained and undergoes an examination for hexogen.
At about 20.00 Tamara Temirsultanova was also called to the Department of Interior of the Moscow State University. She was asked how she managed to get such an employment. Later on they informed her that her underaged sun is at their place. About 22.30 Zelimkhan was handed over to his mother.
Tamara asked for a certificate on where her son was located. She was given a certificate “to whom it may concern” of the following content:
‘This  is to certify that Temirsultanov Zelimkhan Abdul - Vabovich, born on 26.01.82, in the city of Grozny, Chehcheno-Ingushskaya ASSR, not registered in the city of Moscow, passport 45 97 097733 issued on 22.07.98 by the department of interior “Zyablikovo” Moscow that he was really detained on 18.09.99 at the department of Interior of the Moscow State University of Moscow, was checked according to the department of interior records, after which he was released and was sent to the department of interior “Zyablikovo” for official registration of the temporary residence at the place of residence in the city of Moscow”(The true text is given). This text is signed by V.V. Bersenev - in charge of the chief of the department of interior of the Moscow State University.Telephone is hand written: 939-26-54.
Tamara Temirsultanova was asked to come next day to put a seal on the reference.
At midnight Tamara took Zelimkhan to the Institute of Sklifasovsky, where injuries of soft tissues of the head and left side of the breast were fixed. A corresponding certificate was issued.
Next day on September 19 Tamara came to the department of interior of the Moscow State University to put a seal. The chief of the department was very much astonished when he saw the certificate and took it away: “We do not give anycertificates”
The Temirsultanovs have a copy of this certificate. Besides they have a copy of a torn  certificate on Zelimkhan’s  registration.
The Temirsultanovs intend to file an application to the Procurator’s  Office for illegal actions of militia.
The Temirsultanovs used the assistance of the Civic Assistance committee from the beginning of 1995. Zelimkhan was studying at the Centre of Adaptation and training of the Committee.


9a. On September 23 relatives and a lawyer of Aslan Gatiev managed to change the measure to secure the appearance for recognisance not to leave. At 15.35 Nailya transferred to Mostbank department N0843 a lien amounting to 50 000 roubles after which accompanied by the lawyer and investigator she went to the Procurators office were she received a resolution on changing the measure of detainment. With the resolution in their hands they came at about 16 o’clock to the police station N 44. There they found out that Aslan was set free, released for several minutes and then immediately detained for the violation of public order. He is incriminated uncensored swearing. During the transfer of his things to his wife he managed to inform that was released unexpectedly. he went along the pavement in the direction from the militia department and a militia car was following him along the pavement. The same militia employee that found a drug in his pocket started to shout from the car ; “Stop swearing!” and for the answer “I am not swearing”- he was demanded to sit into the car .He was again taken to the militia station, prepared a protocol on an administrative crime and left him at the station up to the decision of the court. The lawyer came back to the Procurator’s  office and wrote a complain for the actions of ,militia employees. the attempt of the State Duma deputy to find out the situation with a help of  the one on duty  did not succeed.
On September 23  in the TV programme “Together” the telephone number of “Civic Assistance” was named as the telephone where victims can get a consultation and assistance. This was made without coordination with the organization after a short interview with Svetlana Gannushkina, who described the situation in the city. It was followed by a storm of telephone calls from the people who could not receive a re-registration, who were refused, expressing compassion to the ones who suffered and indignation. There were no a single call in support of the actions of Moscow’s  authorities.

15. Sardaliev Risvan Rasianovich informed that militia department N 111 refused him in registration at the place of staying at his friends (Dmitrovskoye shosse 45, 3, flat 57), in spite of the presence of a complete set of documents and the norms of inhabited area, corresponding even to Moscow norms. He was given a written refusal, which happens very rarely. The grounds for the refusal: there are no grounds for staying in Moscow. In words he was explained that this was done because of his nationality that discrimination is a law at present.

16. Irina Vladimirovna Gerasimova applied to “Civic Assistance” on September 23. Irina Vladimirovna has her own room in Moscow and lives with her mother, Olga Grigorievna Gerasimova, with her husband Badrudi Sultanovich Eskiev and a two-year son Ibragim. The marriage was not registered as the department of registering civil status was not receiving documents because of the lack of registration, militia department refused in registration because of insufficiency of place for residence. Young people were not thinking about it because everybody in the neighbourhood knew them and militia was not interested in Badrudi. B.S. Eskiev (Borya) graduated from Grozny oil institute and earn living in Moscow by repairing old cars and selling them. He was always in view  of her wife who assisted him and of his mother in law. below is the story of Irina.
As many Muscovites, Ira and Borya were afraid for the life of their son and because of that they several times by night inspected the entrances of their house. About five o’clock she saw militia in the windows, calmed down and went to bed. Very soon she was waken up by a bell in the door. Borya opened the door. Two people in uniforms and one in civil cloths entered the flat without any explanations.There was a guest from Crimea  at home, her registration was not checked. They were interested only in Eskiev.
They opened a passport: “Chechenian? Are there any drugs, weapons? Let us go!”. Ira went together with her husband to the Department of Interior “Lublino”. There he was put behind bars, she was standing by the person on duty. There were many Caucasians behind the bars. They were fined for the lack of registration and released.
“Why they are keeping my husband? He has been living here for a long time, everybody know him”.
“He is a Chechenian. We have an order. We shall compare him with a photo robot, take fingerprints and release”. Afterwards they ceased to promise anything.
At 8 o’clock Olga Grigorievna came. They went together to the chief of the department of interior who promised to release Borya in 3 hours. At 11 o’clock Borya was lead out by two armed militia men and taken away. They told that they are taking him to anti terrorist centre of the department of interior “Pechatniki”. Ira went after them. Their Borya was taken inside; they told that there were cells inside. Again promises started: “If there is nothing on him, we shall release him in 20 minutes”. Then they stopped promising anything. At 15 o’clock Eskiev was lead out by convoy of six persons in civil cloths.
‘Where do you take him? “
To “Maryino Department of Interior”, for identification”.
They rushed there - nobody knows anything. The one on duty said that there were no such person at there place. Came back to “Pechatniki”- there the tone was changed: “He is probably with his lover if he did not come back home. He is not with us and we know nothing.” She pleaded to tell where was the chief of the department. Came to him to room N 503. The chief (Ira did not manage to ask his name and rank) supposed that Eskiev was in jail.
“What for! For registration? “
“Probably weapons and drugs”.
“This cannot be the truth. Why did it happen to him? What for?”
“Because he is a Chechenian. How will you answer what for they are exploding our houses? “.
“But even if these are Chechenians - not all the Chechenians are exploding houses!”.
“A good Chechenian is a dead Chechenian”.
“But my son is Chechenian. Does it mean that he has to be killed? “
There were no more strength to continue the conversation. Ira went home and returned at 8 o’clock in the evening. The same chief promised: “He will come back in three days”.
In the morning the telephone rang and unknown voice told: “Your husband is in the department of interior “Tekstilshiki” - and immediately hung up.
Ira went to Tekstilshiki, took meals and warm cloths, already understanding that he would not be released soon.
The one on duty told: “These are drugs, go to an investigator.”
The investigator, Svetlana Gennadievna Avdeeva, informed Irina about striking things. It turned out that her husband was detained in the street in the vicinity of “Tekstilshiki” metro station at 2 o’clock at night (When they were together inspected the entrances of the house). From him in the presence of witnesses or attesting witnesses took drugs amounting to 0.01 grams of heroin.
“Do not shed tears, - told Avdeeva - there is nothing to be done - we have such policy now. Go and take a lawyer”.
Irina went home for a family council. She went to the investigator with her mother. She was offered to be shown a certificate on the presence of drugs in the urine. Olga Grigorievna tried to contest; what certificate if we have witnesses that the son in law was arrested at 2 o’clock, when he was at home with the wife, mother in law and a guest from Crimea Galina Petrovna Markina. It is obvious that drugs were dropped out on purpose. The investigator did not oppose, and only clarified that Chechenians have to be isolated, and there is nothing else to it, and again recommended already a specific lawyer - Maria Dmitrievna Proskuryakova. Ira gave testimony, then the lawyer and investigator sent her home for the resident of Crimea Galina Petrovna Markina.
When they arrived then found out that Eskiev is in the temporary detention isolator of the department of interior “Maryino”. Avdeeva went to the Procurator’s office and handed over the case. After coming back she told to Irina: “Now only to the lawyer, the case is under investigation”.
Next morning on September 17 Irina found out that  Borya is in the Investigation Isolation unit N 1 at Matrosskaya tishina. On September 23 Ira for the first time gave a first parcel to her husband to the  jail.

16. To the deputy of Kuzminsky Interdistrict Procurator Fomin G.P.
from Isaeva Zara Salamovna,

temporary residing in Moscow at the address: Moscow, Zhebrunova str., 20/18, flat 4.

I came to Moscow for treatment. I stayed with my brother Zavladi Salamovich Isaev, who is residing in Moscow in the rented flat at the above address.
On 14.09.99 about 15 o’clock when I was cooking dinner there was Musa Vagaev with me in the flat, telephone rang. But when we took the receiver there were no connection and the number of the calling person was not identified at the identifier. In several minutes there were a rang in the door, and when I came to the door and opened a lock, the door opened with a jerk and a person standing at the door knocked the door by foot. Four persons in civil cloths came in, one of them handed in the certificate of the militia employee, but I did not remember his name or rank.
They demanded that Musa (he was in at home cloths) put on his cloths. They went all round the flat, looking in the things. They gave the cloths to Musa, they Preliminarily searched the pockets, winking to each other and laughing. What was the reason of their appearance was not explained. They did not show the permission for a search, did not invite attesting witnesses. They also did not explain what they needed in the flat. They behaved rudely, humiliated our national dignity, used foul language. One of them took the telephone with the identifier of numbers and took it to himself. They took the bag, belonging to Satovkhanov R, who was residing in the flat and put minor things from the flat into it.
I and Musa were taking out into the street in handcuffs, preliminarily making sure that there were nobody in the way, put into the car and taken to Zulebinskoye department of militia.
I was not interrogated, there were no protocol of the detainment, only told me to write my biography and to sign for it. In the department of interior the handcuffs were taken off but we were not released from militia; militia employees behaved in a rude and threatening way. In the evening of the same September 14, approximately between 21-22 hours I saw my brother in the room of the on duty person, I was not allowed to come to him and to talk to him. he was searched by militia employees, who  took things which were found in the pockets of his cloths. No drugs were found. There were no attesting witnesses during that.
Next day at the same place  at Zulebinskoye department saw in the corridor Zalavdi (the brother of Zara Isaeva) with a swollen crimson face; he was taken, as I presume, from investigation, from an investigator. He said in Chechenian that drugs were put to him in order to put him in jail.
I was taken finger prints and photographed. Already in the flat militia employees offered me that “it is better to tell everything from the start”. There were discussions in the department, but no interrogations, protocols were not made. They were threatening that if I did not tell the truth they would  give me for raping to vagrants. During conversations with me employees were interested in Zalavdi, to whose name the flat was registered, where he worked and what type of car he had.
Employees of Zulebinski department took the car, blue DEU Espero B 053 BT 99, belonging to my brother. When I was released on September 15, I saw that they went somewhere in my brother’s  car. Releasing me and returning a belt from my trousers and a golden neck chain, militia employees did not even explain what for I was detained and I was so much frightened that was glad to run anywhere.
I request you to establish and punish the persons who illegally detained me and kept in militia for more than a day. I shall be able to identify the ones who detained me. At the same time I was warned “that if anything happens” they will take the law into their own hands; and because of that I request you to provide for my safety from these criminals having  militia ranks. Please take into consideration that I am also a citizen of the Russian Federation and have to sue the protection of the law, irrespective of the fact that I am Chechenian by nationality.
September 21, 1999 Isaeva Z. Sincerely.

In the Z.S. Isaeva’s application to the Procurator’s office mentioned are:
Isaev Zalavdi Salamovich, a brother of Z.S. Isaeva, permanently residing in Moscow,
Vagaev Musa Mohamad Sanievich, 1979, acquaintance of the Isaevs family.

Addition from the telling of Z.S. Isaeva to the employee of the Civic Assistance Committee E.Yu. Burtina
From the flat in Zhebrunova street Zara Isaeva and Musa Vagaev were taken by two militia men, the other two were left in the flat (alone), probably waiting for the arrival of Zalavdi Isaev, whom Zara saw in the militia department in the evening. They were taken not in the militia car, but in some foreign car (BMW).
In “Zhulebino” Department of interior Zara Isaeva was searched by a woman (in civil cloths), who made her to take of all of her cloths (naked).
According to the words of Zara, Musa and Zalavdi signed false testimonies after they were told that Zara would be given to vagrants to be raped.
After a visit of militiamen to the flat in Zhebrunova street several expensive things disappeared: leather jacket for men, men’s shoes, tape recorder for an automobile and others.

17. Salamova Raziet with a husband and five children left from the burning Grozny in 1995 to Nalchik. Until recently she lived there with other refugees, registered by the Migration service of Kabardino-Balkar Republic, but in spite of the law, not receiving a corresponding status. They had no residence permit, no work. neither any prospects to get work and accommodation in future. There were nowhere and nothing for to return to Chechenia: accommodation was destroyed, there were no work, and there were nowhere to study. In August of this year they came to Moscow, where they now stay at the address: B. Cheremushkinskaya street 11/1, flat 148. Two elder children are studying at Moscow institutes, three younger ones - at secondary school. They submitted all necessary documents for registration to “Kotlovka” department of interior but they were refused without indicating a reason.


9b. At mid-day on September 24 by the resolution of the intermunicipal court of Moscow Aslan Gatiev was found guilty in violation of the public order and sentenced to payment of a fine amounting to 20 roubles. After payment of the fine the measure to secure the appearance was changed to recognisance not to leave.

18. To the Committee “Civic Assistance” applied Natasha Akhmedovna Muzaeva. She informed that her grandsons Akhmed Magometovich Bukhukhadgiev (born in 1979) and Zaurbek Danilbekovich Batuev (born in 1974) are staying and are registered in Moscow from the beginning of September, 1999, at the address: Pulkovskaya street 3,1, flat 10. In accordance with the order N 1007 on September 20 they went for re-registration to the Department of Interior “Vodny Stadion” (Lavochkina street, 3). After two days of staying in the queue Zaurbek received a re-registration, and Akhmed was refused, his certificate on registration was taken and he was given three days to gather and go to Grozny.
Then the grandmother decided to find out what was the reason. She again  stood in the queue. After lunch on September 24 the brothers went out to see if their turn in the queue is approaching. They were detained near the militia department.
The grandmother went out for them and found out that both her grandsons were put under guard. After long expectations the relatives were explained that the number of the insert, confirming citizenship into Zaurbek’s  passport coincides with the number of a person who is being looked for. After that Akhmed was released without giving him registration. A certificate about a re-registration was taken from Zaurbek and he was put behind the bars. He was released only in the evening on September 27, that is upon expiration of three days. In answer to the question of Natasha Akhmedovna, why her grandsons were refused in re-registration she was told that there was Luzhkov’s  order on turning out all Chechenians in three days.

19. Razmik Alexandrovich Nagdalyan, born in 1965, is registered at the place of residence in Perm and for five years at the place of staying  with his parents in Moscow at the address: Dolgorukova street, 35, flat 11. Razmik Alexandrovich is seriously ill - he has a tumour of the brain, which during of late caused epileptic fits.
On September 23 near Savelovsky railway station he was passing by OMON. One of the OMON men whistled to him, but RAZMIK Alexandrovich passed by and did not respond to the whistling, considering that this was the way to call cattle and not people. Then the OMON man reached him and politely asked to show the documents. For convenience it was offered to go to the nearest arch. There OMON members tore up the passport taken from R.A. Nagdalyan and started to beat him until he was unconscious. Razmik Alexandrovich was first asking not to beat him by the head, and then remembers how he woke up all in blood and with a strong headache. He took a car and went home. In the regional department of militia next day his application was not taken, and he was afraid to go to Savelovsky. All members of expert commission that he passed on September 28 and whom he told about what had happened saw the traces of beating. On the same day Razmik applied to “Civic Assistance” for consultation about the receipt of a new passport, which is complicated by the absence of citizenship of Russia with him.

1. 10.99.

20. Kaspiy Khozavich Ezhaev(1933), permanently residing at Evpatoria, called to “Civic Assistance”. He informed that he was intending to take from Chechenia his daughters in law Ezhaeva Raisa with children - three year old Aznat and two year old Azamat, Tateva Marina with a one months old son Abubakar. During the night from September 30 to October 1 they were going in a bus, going to Mineralny Vody, administrative boarder with Kabardino-Balkaria. the bus was stopped by militia. None of the residents of Chechenia, including small children, were not allowed into the territory of Kabardino-Balkar Republic. Kaspiy Khozaevich Ezhaev with a family had to come back to Grozny. he told that there were other people in the bus who tried to take their small grandchildren. However they were offered to send the children to the refugees’ camp or to return to parents, and to go to the place where they are registered themselves.


Only on October 2 we managed to find resolution No. 875 of the Government of Moscow of 21.09.99 “On the Establishment of the temporary order of moving out persons, violating the rules of registration, outside Moscow to the place of their permanent residence.” We do not know specific cases of turning out. At the same time many Caucasians independently left Moscow, not able to withstand a permanent prosecution and extortion from militia.

According to information received by Co - Chairman of the Civic Assistance Committee Svetlana Gannushkina during her stay in Azerbaijan from employees of MNB AR many Azerbaijanians, permanently residing in Moscow left the capital in September and went back to Baku.

21. Lomali Malikovich Tasuev, born in 1959, has a registration at the place of residence at the town of Fryazino of Moscow Area at the address: Mira street 8, flat 20. He lived together with his wife Khava Shakhmudivna Bakhaeva in Moscow at the place of registration of his wife at the address Novorossiyskaya Street 16, flat 25.
Khava Shakhmudovna applied to the Civic Assistance Committee and told the following:
On September 13 about 6 o’clock in the evening, when she was not at home, to them came the precinct militia man. The husband told her that after checking his documents he recommended not to go out to the street because he, according to the opinion of precinct militia man resembled a photo robot. IN an hour and a half several militia employees came to the flat. They took Lomali Tasuev to the Department of Interior “Loublino”.

The explanation was simple: “You are Chechenians”. Khava Shakhmudovna with four children went with her husband. Until 11 in the evening they were waiting for the end of procedure of taking finger prints and interrogation, and hoping that he husband would be released. Militia men managed to persuade her to go home with her children, took them home by car and promised that everything would be all right in the morning.
Khava Bakhaeva spent September 14 and 15 in the department of interior “Loublino”, trying to get to the head of the department.
On September 16 she was informed that they cannot release her husband as drugs were taken from him - 0.015 g  of heroin.
Khava Shakhmudovna went to the regional procurator’s office and left an application, describing what had happened. Lomali Malikovich Tasuev was released before court for recognisance not to leave. Simultaneously with him three more Chehenians were released, with whom drugs were found under similar circumstances. Lomali told that the drug was found while checking the content of his pockets. Pockets were turned out, everything fell on the floor. Among the things that were picked up, found was  the drug, turned into foil.

22. Raisa Vakhaevna Akhmatkhanova, invalid of the 2 nd group, is bringing up three children alone, lives and is registered in Moscow at the address: Fergansky proezd 15/189, flat 92. On September 28 she applied to the Civic Assistance Committee for the assistance in re-registration, in which she was refused. She gave an interview at the Committee to the German TV, journalist went to her home in order to talk to her children and make shooting at the spot. On September 24 the militia men were trying to take away her son and they managed to release him for 300 roubles.
After photo shooting Raisa Vakhaevna decided to take her children to a different place and left together with them.
Her sister Rosa Vakhaevna Akhmatkhanova , born in 1965, who had several operations, including the amputation of a gallbladder, operation on lever and for thrombophlebitis, stayed in the flat,
together with her daughter Larisa Adamovna, seventeen years old, and
niece Milana Umkhaeva, 15 years old.
Her sister soon called to Rosa and said that their flat was broken out, militia men rushed into it and made a search, after which they took three women to the department of interior “Otradnoye”, police station No. 181.
After keeping for 4 hours they were released, threatening to come to the house at any time of day and night. The chairman of the construction cooperative, to which the house belongs, joined to the threats of militia.
At present the door to the flat is broken, Raisa Vakhaevna is afraid to bring her sons home, they were refused in registration.


Received was the Order of the Mayor of Moscow of 28.09.99. “On temporary measures for the regulation of work with refugees and forced migrants, arriving to Moscow, as well as with the persons, petitioning on the granting of this status”. An anti law norm that all forced migrants, who received the status in other subjects of the Russian Federation (territorial bodies of the FMS of Russia) can be place on records only if they have a registration at the place of residence in Moscow, which was previously annulled in 1997, is resumed in this order. Besides, accepted for consideration are the petitions on granting the status of forced migrant and refugee only if the applicant  has a registration at the place of location with direct relatives for no less then 6 months.

23. According to the information of the Human rights centre “Memorial” on September 2 , at 17.00  at Novoperedelkino at the approaches to the entrance of his house detained was Sultan Khasanovich Ismailov, born in 1966 in Grozny, who was living in Moscow for 13 years. the detainment was conducted by the group of employees of Regional Department for Fighting Organized Crime of the Central Administrative district of Moscow. At the moment of detainment Ismailov, second group invalid, was dressed in jeans and skirt, he had no coat or jacket, he did not have an packet or bag in his hands. After the detainment he was taken into the entrance, where during a personal inspection a hand grenade and several bullets were allegedly found with him. At present Ismailov is kept at the investigation isolator of “Butyrka”. A criminal case is started against him according to article 222. Part 1 of the Criminal Code of the RF, in charge of the investigation is the investigator of the Department of Interior “Novoperedelkino” Dirin Victor Semenovich.

24. According to information of the Human Rights centre “Memorial” in June of 1999 the family of Edilovs (Edilov Il’yas Musaevich: born in 1957, Edilova Khadishat Emdievna, born in 1962, their children, born in 1984 and 1988) were renting a flat in Chistova street 4, flat 77. They started to live in Moscow from 1995, when they were forced to live Grozny. Their house was destroyed as a result of military activities. Edilova Kh. E. with her children were registered at the new address, and I. M. Musaev was refused in registration “due to insufficiency of place where to live”. Later on he many times applied for registration at the department of interior “Tekstilshiki” but was refused  under different pretexts The last time I.M. Edilov was refused in registration and Kh.E. Edilova in re-registration on September 20. From the moment of moving into the flat in Chistova street the family is under the surveillance of the precinct inspector of the Department of interior “Tekstilshiki” - N.A. Pan’kina. At the time of his visits to the flat, rented by Edilovs, Pan’kin promised “to do everything for them not to live at that place”, repeatedly threatened that he will put Kh. E. Edilova with children into the punishment cell, “to drop off grenade to them”, if they do not leave Moscow, and even “shoot them all”, if a house is again exploded in Moscow. On September 29  about 21 hours in the evening the employees of the criminal search took Kh. E. Edilova: who was ill and felt very bad, to the Department of Interior “Tekstil’shiki”,  where she was made to sign papers  the contents of which was not known to her and fined.

25. Shakhrudin Abuezidovich Khaptukhaev, born in 1968, permanently residing in Kiev, came to Moscow from Grozny in August 1999, where spent several months in the house of parents after marriage to Zarema Ruslanovna Alerkhanova. The arrival was caused by the wish of Zarema to undergo a medical examination because of a pathological course of pregnancy. They stayed at the address: Samarkandsky Boulevard 13, flat 9.
The couple was planning to go to Kiev on September 13 by night, their things were already packed.  By 17 hours Zarema and her husband’s  friend Al’vi Ezhiev went to the airport to meet her husband’s  brother and his five year old daughter from the first marriage.
On the way to the air port and back she was permanently calling to her husband by mobile telephone. From 18.50 the telephone was permanently busy. In the entrance of her house militia met her. Militiamen informed that her husband was taken to the militia station No 44 (department of Interior Vykhino), as the drugs were found with him. Everything in the house was upside down.  After long explanations Zarema was allowed to take her things - first she was told that the things were confiscated - gave half an hour for packing and told to leave.
The husband’s brother Makhmadi Abuezidovich Khaptuev, born in 1966, and Alvi Ezhiev, born in 1964, were taken to the same militia station. Money were taken from the latter, telling that he would not need it anymore.
While gathering things Zarema found out that two golden bracelets and a ring with diamonds disappeared from the box. She was returned only 1000$ given to her by parents for treatment and taken from the same box.
After the departure of militia Zarema took her girl and things to her uncle Visaid Alkievich Alerkhanov, permanently residing in Moscow. Then she took a taxi and went to the militia station N 44. She spent several hours there until 2 at night. At the station she was told that there was an order to keep all Chehenians by any methods. All this time the taxi driver was waiting for her, took her to her uncle and refused to take money, telling that he is embarrassed by all that was happening.
In the morning on September 14 Zarema came again together with her uncle. They brought meals for all the three of them it was found out that drugs were found with all three of them.  The investigator recommended a lawyer to them, whom they had to give money meant fro treatment. At the militia station they were again explained that it was a political case, “you are making war to us and we are making war to you”, it was order to put Chehenians behind the bars. When Zarema came for the third time, her husband, his brother and friend were already sent to the investigation isolator at Matrosskaya Tishina. From the protocol she found out with astonishment that they were taken in the street in the presence of attesting witnesses.

Co-Chairman of the “Civic Assistance” Committee,
member of the Government Commission on the
Migration Policy in the therefore Svetlana Gannushkina



This article was taken from the web site of the "Memorial" Human Rights Center. Also available at



Copyright © 2002 [Anton G.]. All rights reserved. Все права защищены.



Š”Š°Š¹Ń‚ сŠ¾Š·Š“Š°Š½ Š² сŠøстŠµŠ¼Šµ uCoz